Writers Playground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sandbox for writers of all genres, offering peer reviews, technical discussion, and more!

+2
Harklight
Peni
6 posters

Dr Pepper Kisses

Peni
    Peni

Dr  Pepper Kisses Empty Dr Pepper Kisses

Post by Peni Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I wasn't your first love. That honor goes to the 1968 Chevy Nova that you called 'The Brown Bomb.' It was a fickle thing but once you coaxed it to life, it took us where we wanted to go. Every chance we had, we went to Galveston. We sat on the seawall, legs dangling high above the sand. When it was cold, we snuggled together under a blanket that was no match for the cool ocean air. When it was hot we sported swimsuits and tanned bare feet. We made constant plans. We were going to live on a boat and explore the moods of the sea. Sometimes we would sneak a kiss, or count quarters for gas or Dr Pepper.

You were driving down Jensen Drive when you saw the fight. A car was pulled over in an empty lot, four boys were badly beating a skinny teen. You couldn't just drive past, could you? You roared into the lot, grabbed the injured boy (I found out later his name was Robert.) and shoved him in your car. You sped towards the hospital. You never made it. The four followed you and opened fire. The Brown Bomb took over twenty hits. You took only one, but it was enough. Robert wasn't touched.

The papers all agreed you were a hero.

Over thirty years later when I think of you I still miss you. Yet, sometimes I smile at the memory of sitting on the seawall with a seventeen year old boy, sharing Dr Pepper kisses and making plans to live on a boat.
    Harklight
    Harklight

Dr  Pepper Kisses Empty Re: Dr Pepper Kisses

Post by Harklight Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:18 am

This is wonderful writing, Peni! It held me from the intro, with that first love, and I adore your plans made while sitting on the sea wall. The context of this personal write is like a sweet/sad letter. Your hero's intervention to save a life, and his subsequent death is an immense tragedy that I felt. It's great that you still retain fond 17y/o memories, planning to live on a boat. Sighs, very romantic and teen dream-like. Kudos, my sweet. H x
    Armchair Queen
    Armchair Queen

Post by Armchair Queen Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Very beautiful and very sad!
    Reminds me a little of the Tallahassee bridge song.
    Armchair Queen
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am

Peni, this just pulls at my heartstrings so much. I had a friend, an young crush, who died by gunfire and the memory is still fresh and painful. A touching write, my friend.
    *Augustus*
    *Augustus*

Post by *Augustus* Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:13 am

Peni for me you are one of my all time favourite poets. The way you tell a story brings it to life. I could empathise and feel the sentiment through-out and found it hard to hold back the tears (I couldn't) I remember reading this at PoetShare V1. and feeling the same way, reading one of your poems more than once just makes it better and more relative to the heart, also makes me feel closer to you as a friend. You're are one of the brightest stars I know and you shine on everyone that reads you. xx

I was just wondering if maybe 'beating on a skinny boy' may fit aswell but there isn't much difference I guess. x
    Daniel
    Daniel

Post by Daniel Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:05 pm

having been to Galveston, sat on that same seawall and looked out into the same Gulf of Mexico I can really picture these events.. it is a special city that has shed more tears than any other, my own memories involve a close call there but not necessarly for my life as much as a police officer reading his computer wrong and thinking I was susposto be driving a Mercedes instead of a Mercury.. He even had his handcuffs out..

enjoyed this story. always your friend,

~ Daniel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am