Writers Playground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sandbox for writers of all genres, offering peer reviews, technical discussion, and more!

3 posters

Obfuscation or Red Herrings

Armchair Queen
    Armchair Queen

Obfuscation or Red Herrings Empty Obfuscation or Red Herrings

Post by Armchair Queen Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I love detective novels. I once checked out a "how to book" on writing the same.
    I was able to sketch out a plot, develop characters etc.
    My problem was I couldn't come up with a prolonged or interesting sleuthing trail.
    Armchair Queen
    Jamie
    Jamie

Obfuscation or Red Herrings Empty Re: Obfuscation or Red Herrings

Post by Jamie Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I guess it would help me a little more if you could flesh out what you mean. Did you find the obfuscation you were coming up with . . . too far fetched, implausible, irrelevant to the extreme?

I'm fairly clever when it comes to being deceptive, though it's not something I try to embrace with any vigor. Wink However I'm not above using a falling grand piano as a distraction in a story--cliche as it may be--if I can somehow insinuate the piano's relevance in some other way into the plot.

Armchair Queen
    Armchair Queen

Post by Armchair Queen Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Since I knew who did it, I couldn't figure out how to keep the sleuth occupied for an entire novels worth of pages trying to figure it out.
    Armchair Queen
    Harklight
    Harklight

Post by Harklight Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Lol, your readers don't necessarily guess "who did it". If they fit, footsteps in dark alleyways, feeling watched on excursions, etc are not quite red herrings but they (or similar) extend the story-line without being unnecessary padding. Events in the sleuth's office, home or family life can be used in much the same way. I hope you try to finish your novel. Good luck. H x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am