Writers Playground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sandbox for writers of all genres, offering peer reviews, technical discussion, and more!

+2
Peni
*Augustus*
6 posters

Sundials for Salvation

*Augustus*
    *Augustus*

Sundials for Salvation  Empty Sundials for Salvation

Post by *Augustus* Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Sundials for Salvation

Painting the windows does not stop the sun from shining; I guess I learnt that the hard way. Blisters grow on eyes to convert the mind making it believe darkness was all it saw, or would ever see. Boys will be boys and drowning fish are in the wrong sea, well that was me; a distortion of youth, one who clings on to the bath tub for fear of drowning in that inch of water, knowing that’s all it takes. I never knew smiles were a weapon of deception on some people’s lips, tongues so sharp they can pierce dreams and devour the motivation like Sunday dinner. What I’m really trying to say is when you lose that trust you once had, there is only God who can build it out of flaming friendships (words of an atheist). He’ll never know the pain or understand these thoughts, thoughts of a child lost. I know he’ll remember though, all I wanted to remember was blackened out windows and the taste of rusty blood in my mouth.

You have to believe; painting the windows does not stop the sun from shining. You have to see the cracks appear to know it possible that the pain will fade leaving timid scars but at least they’re faded scars. Ghosts will haunt and devils will dance and no amount of me believes he knew the tango. Boys will be boys and the past should be buried. At least those windows will always be open for this kid. The sun now shining through doors instead leaving me liberated. If I never learnt how to forgive I’d be stuck in the past, holding on to steel bars and bad memories letting my demons be my dictators. Knowledge of human behaviour makes you let go of those steel bars and wash the blood out of your mouth and know its time, time to be free of bad memories and blackened out windows. Free to know that mistakes don’t always brand the victim, not always, not me.

Last edited by *Augustus* on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Peni
    Peni

Sundials for Salvation  Empty Re: Sundials for Salvation

Post by Peni Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 pm

I am honored to be the first to respond. You have captured the essence of our spirit and the truth of knowledge.
    I know of shattered trust that runs so deep it singes the core into non believing the earth was ever round.
    It poisons every relationship and questions the motive of every single human we encounter, family and strangers
    alike. Until we let go, there is no freedom. No future. This brings tears to my eyes Jay. Openly honest and
    vulnerable. The promise of a new beginning. Very profound little one. Much love and many hugs.

Momma P
    Harklight
    Harklight

Post by Harklight Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:39 pm

A very thought-provoking write, Jay. While it seems extremely personal, you've written these emotions so that readers can relate them to their similar experiences. Very acute word-choices and phrasing. Tiny nit: typo in final "shinning". Total release towards the ending is uplifting: overcoming past trials and showing optimisim. This will remain with me for a while. Bravo! H x
    Jamie
    Jamie

Post by Jamie Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:40 pm

This is a fantastic write, Augustus. Sometimes I don't think you're all the atheist you profess to be. Wink The imagery of the sundial in the title really fits the piece so well, as your prose measures itself by the sun. Impressive depth, enjoyed, my friend.
    Armchair Queen
    Armchair Queen

Post by Armchair Queen Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 am

Very poignant!
    Armchair Queen
    Myth
    Myth

Post by Myth Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Wonderfully descriptive and heartfelt affirmation and introspection. I like the depth of feeling in this a lot....

Cheers
    ~M~

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm